Sunday, 15 January 2012

Home At Last

I haven't much felt like writing recently, but that's because the recent development I alluded to in my last post, has occupied most of my attention and energy over the last few weeks. I am now ready to make the announcement... Spud and I have bought our first home. It is a three bedroom end terrace, literally twice the size of the one we nearly bought back in November, and it's a dream come true. While it's in reasonable condition and suitable for moving into straight away, Spud and I aren't moving in until our wedding day in August. We've been calling in once or twice a week to work on it, and make it our own. Our priorities have been fortifying the security as we were burgled within the first few days of ownership. There wasn't all that much for the trespassers to take, but they got away with Spud's tools and a ladder. We have reason to believe the burglary was more to do with the house being unoccupied at the moment, and the back door (which was forced open) being insecure. We are not too concerned, but obviously it's not a nice feeling knowing that somebody has broken in and trespassed on your property, even when you don't yet live there. 

We have met a few of the neighbours who are extremely friendly, and were very concerned to hear of our misfortune. One elderly gentleman has lived in the neighbourhood all his life, and said he has only ever had a piece of fencing stolen. He was in the building trade and helped us to secure the back door temporarily for us. We haven't met our next door neighbours, but we posted our contact numbers through their letter box, and they texted me the next day in acknowledgement, which I thought was very kind. 

It is an exciting thing setting up house. We got the electricity working yesterday, and Spud spent the day installing a new lock on the front door while I cleaned the kitchen, dreaming about painting the walls the butter yellow of my vision. Even Spud saw my perspective and agreed to this! 

I will upload some photographs of the house as it is now, just as soon as I get onto Spud's computer again. 

No comments: