Sunday, 8 January 2012

Hello January!

'Tis but the frost that clears the air,
And gives the sky that lovely blue;
They're smiling in a winter's sun, 
Those evergreens of sombre hue.

Anne Bronte - 'The Arbour'

Everyone keeps going on about how much they hate January, but I for one am loving it so far and not just because of the positive developments that it has brought about so far, one of which I will write about very soon. My last few Januarys have been good ones, even last year when I was stuck in a job I hated and suffered spells where I was incredibly miserable. I love the combination of the brisk raw air and the clear winter skies, particularly as this January has been comparatively mild to those previously. I remember one especially lovely day a year ago when Spud and I went to the beach, and for some reason I took upon to wear a dress even though it was January and it was freezing. I was happy that day, the combination of weather, scenic surroundings and good company raising my spirits. 

I think, for me, January is the most positive month of the year. I consider it a chance to start again, the new year's resolutions giving me something to aim for, and the opportunity to really think about what I want from the year. I've always engaged well with targets, and the results have been more than I could've hoped for so far. Sometimes my resolve to achieve these can ebb during the year, but January is the month that I am most determined to make things happen. 

It has been a good year so far for my writing, despite the rejection letter I received yesterday from Women's Weekly magazine, after sending them my two best stories back in September. I was naturally a little disappointed and put out, but I took it in my stride and wasn't in the least bit upset as I might have been before. I didn't receive any feedback and was only told that my stories hadn't met the required guidelines, so I am going to write to them and find out what their guidelines are for next time. 

In the last few days I've written a poem and the first twelve pages or so of a new project. I have been driven by my desire to be a writer, and inspired by the things I am reading at the moment (poetry by the Bronte sisters, 'The Tempest' and David Copperfield, for those who are interested). I will get their someday, even if it takes my whole life. 

Yes, January has been kind to me so far, and I've had a good start to the year. 

No comments: