Tuesday, 6 December 2011

#6 Meeting People

Each year, people come and people go, and a handful remain a part of our lives, whether as a best friend, a colleague, or a mere Facebook acquaintance. Recently, I've taken to reflecting on the people I've shared a few moments with this year. Some exchanges have been brief, like the colleague I worked with for the first time on my last day in my last job, and yet we chatted easily all day. Some acquaintances have been infrequent, but a little more lasting, like the older couple who we've recently got chatting with at church, although they don't come to our service every week. There's Swift, who I befriended at the end of last year, but have got to know a lot better in recent months. She is my first real friend since moving here. And then there's the whole crowd of colleague's I've been getting to know since starting my job at Sainsbury's. They have all been very kind and welcoming, and I have enjoyed getting to know them all. Their answering smiles as we pass down the aisles have meant a lot to me. I feel like I have finally found my place here. 

I haven't met anyone this year who I'm certain will be a friend for life, but for the moment I walk side by side with many people, caught in the moment and making the most of it. I feel my purpose in life is to love everyone I meet. As someone who treasures the friends I make along the way, it's the people I meet in life that mean the most to me. I have a long memory, and if you have ever been a part of my life at some point in time, then you most probably haven't been forgotten. 

No comments: