Friday, 23 December 2011

#23 I''ll Be Home For Christmas

I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents under the tree

- I'll Be Home For Christmas -

As you read this, Spud and I should be travelling downwards to spend Christmas in my family. I have, by now, worked my last night shift, and I am probably tired, but excitement is spurring me onwards. This is my last proper Christmas at home. Next year Spud and I will make our own Christmas, incorporating traditions from both sides of the family, and making some new ones. We’re bound to spend some Christmases in my family’s part of the country, but I think it will be different. I will have a home of my own by then, so it won’t be Christmas at home. We may even be parents ourselves. 

I am excited about spending Christmas with the five people I love the most. I am excited for the sight of the Christmas tree, with the lights, ornaments and decorations I’ve known since childhood. I am excited for those familiar Christmas songs flooding the house. I am excited for the old Christmas routines, traditions and games. I am excited for the taste of turkey, with stuffing, sausage and bacon rolls, brussel sprouts, and parsnip bake. I am excited for Spud to be there sharing it all with me. I am excited for a great many things.

No comments: