Thursday, 1 December 2011

#1 The First Door

I remember, as a young child, opening the first door to a pictorial advent calendar and being very disappointed by the image behind, which was almost always something boring like a candle or a sprig of holly, or perhaps a bell. This was back in the days when time really dragged, and the 24 days ahead seemed endless to a small child like myself. 

Now, as a grown up girl of almost 23, I find the reverse is true. Christmas arrives sooner with each year. The first day of December is a reminder that in just three and a half weeks time the long awaited holiday will be here, and with the blink of an eye it will be gone again. That's just three and a half weeks to write Christmas cards, finish my Christmas shopping, and wrap presents. Advent is a time of preparation and the first door marks the start of the countdown until Christmas. 

I don't have an advent calendar any more, as I feel far too old (Spud has one, but that's a different story...) However, I have various routines that mark the passing of each day: writing in my diary for example, or doing my devotional readings. And, this year of course, this blog effectively serves as my advent calendar. 

So here is my first door. I hope it hasn't been too much of a disappointment. 

No comments: