Friday, 4 November 2011

Parting With My Paperback Friends


As you know, Spud and I are in the middle of buying our first home. I'm afraid I haven't any update on that yet. We've applied for a mortgage, engaged the services of a solicitor, and now we're just waiting for a survey to be done and for our application to go through. We have literally done all we can, and now we just have to play the waiting game. 

I realised, though, that there was one thing I could do... The house is small, and I hate clutter, so, I decided to have a ruthless clear out and get rid of some of my belongings. This included several books, that previously, I couldn't imagine parting with, such as Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, and (as an English literature graduate, I'm ashamed to admit this) my Nicholas Sparks collection. I just realised that I was never going to read these books again, and was just hoarding them because the characters and story lines remained with me after I'd finished reading. 

I probably told myself at the time that I was going to read them again, but now I think life is too short - there are so many other things I want to read. If I ever want to read these books again, I can always go and find them at a library. That's not to say that I've got rid of them all. I've kept many which I want to share with my children someday; ones that I couldn't part with so easily, and will almost certainly go back to and reread. 

Parting with my paperback friends wasn't nearly as painful as I'd envisaged. I was able to let go of them very easily. Okay, they are still in a pile, waiting to go to their new home (the second hand bookshop) but I know I'll definitely be able to let them go when the time comes. 

I never have been a materialist or a hoarder. Spud is a bit of a hoarder, but I've told him he can keep his junk (anything I deem unnecessary clutter) in the garden shed!

2 comments:

Tamara Epps said...

I am a hoader and collector and used to keep pretty much every book. When I moved I realized I needed to make space and books were some of the first things to go (okay, so I still have more than will fit on our bookcase but that's because I'm going to read them first).

My main problem is that when I take them to the charity shop to donate, it's inevitable that I will come out with a new bagful of books. Lately, however, I've been using my library much more instead - better for our space and my bank balance!

Kess said...

Thanks for the advice Tamara!