Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Like That Other Autumn

Imagine this: In October 2006, after two months of correspondence, a young man and woman felt they had something special together, and agreed it would be good to meet and find out. However, due to circumstances and the nature of their meeting, they had to endure an agonising ten month wait before they could be together the following August. 

Five years on, and Spud and I are going through the exact same thing! We're into the last nine months of a very, very long wait, so it probably doesn't surprise you that I'm experiencing a lot of nostalgia and deja-vu this autumn as I think about that first wait, the first of many. 

That first wait really dragged. It felt like a lifetime had passed when August came round and we stood face to face for the first time. This last wait drags only sometimes. On other days, I look ahead and see the date (our wedding day) steaming towards us like an express train, powered by the busyness of life. 

And now that I think about it, there's only a few weeks left until Christmas, when we send out the invitations, after which there'll be so much to do, and barely the time to count off the days. Will I notice the warm breath of spring on my neck as I ransack the shops for lilac bridesmaid dresses? Will I feel the sweat of summer trickle down my back as I stand in a bridal shop for my dress fitting? 

I no longer suffer from my nightmares about not being ready on my wedding day. I am calm through and through. I just remember the wait we endured that other autumn. I know our big day will come around soon enough, and when it does, we'll both be ready for it. 

No comments: