Monday, 31 October 2011

To Spook, Or Not To Spook

My Reasons For Not Celebrating Halloween

For most, Halloween is simply a night of having fun and partying in costume (and for many my own age, involves lots of drinking) but it's just something I've never done. I was brought up in a Christian family, and was sheltered from the Halloween traditions and festivities. I never felt deprived, as I never had a strong desire to participate. All my life I have grown up loving God, and I feel as a Christian I shouldn't be celebrating a holiday that contradicts my faith. 

Yes, for most, Halloween is simply dressing up and having harmless fun, but it's the themes that trouble me. It centres on scaring people, demanding treats and playing tricks, dressing up as devils, ghosts and ghouls... 

I'm not condemning Halloween. I'm just giving my own reasons for not having anything to do with it. In the future, I certainly won't be taking my children trick or treating. Instead, they will have to put up with going to light parties until they are old enough to decide for themselves. 

This year, my church aren't hosting a light party, but instead they order 'bags of hope', a free resource from UCB, for members of the congregation to take away. These are simply bags containing two Christian booklets, one for a child and one for an adult, and a handful of sweets so that the kids aren't completely disappointed. I don't remember any trick or treaters calling last year, but I took one just in case, and it's now waiting in the porch for any callers I may have tonight. 

No comments: