Sunday, 18 September 2011

If Our Love Were But More Simple

This morning, at church, we sang a hymn called "There's a Wideness in God's Mercy", and as I listened carefully to the words, I was really struck by the following:

"If our love were but more simple,
We should take Him at His word;
And our lives would all be sunshine
In the sweetness of our Lord."

What I learned at church today was that very often we forget to perceive God outside the parameters of our existence. Consequently, we often get a false impression of Him:

"...We make His love too narrow
By false limits of our own;
And we magnify His strictness
With a zeal He will not own."

But actually, we cannot measure the goodness of His love. We overcomplicate it, just as we overcomplicate everything. So here is my perception:

God loves every one of us. 
God hates sin. 
When we sin, God hates what we're doing, but loves us all the same. 
When we turn from sin and ask for forgiveness, He loves us like the sin never happened. 

This isn't meant to be a "preachy" post, but I got a lot from this morning's session, and was desperate to share what I took from it. 

No comments: