Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Autumn Soup

Back in spring, I wanted to try out a recipe for Parsnip and Apple Soup, but decided it best to postpone this culinary experiment for six months until cooking apples were plentiful, and people couldn't get rid of them quick enough! For the last few days, several cooking apples have adorned Treasure's counter, like seasonal decorations, and so I seized the opportunity to rid her of one. I couldn't resist sharing the recipe with you, which comes from The Observer Guide to British Cookery by Jane Grigson. It's very simple, and smells and tastes of autumn, hence my renaming of the dish. 

You will need:

750g parsnips, peeled and diced
1 cooking apple
60g butter
150ml cream
5 sage leaves
1 good litre (2pt) chicken or ham stock
salt, pepper, chopped parsley

1. Sweat the apple and parsnip in the butter, in a covered saucepan over low heat. After five minutes, stir, and then cover again for another five minutes. 

2. Add the stock and sage leaves, and leave to simmer for half an hour (I actually left mine for nearly an hour, and stirred occasionally). 

3. Remove the sage leaves. The recipe now advises to sieve or process the mixture, but I chopped the parsnip and apple quite finely, and as I like chunky soup I left the pieces in. 

4. Add more stock or water, if required, and reheat with the cream. 

5. If you wish, you can serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley across the top, and croutons. Enjoy!

Tomorrow I'm going to make blueberry muffins! And, if you're wondering why I have so much time for cooking at the moment, I will share with you my piece of good news. After sixteen months of searching, Spud has been offered some paid work - supply in a nursery that previously interviewed him, and today he works his first shift! 

No comments: