Thursday, 5 May 2011

Girl Talk With God

Girl Talk With God by Susie Shellenberger is a series of transcripts of private conversations between teenage girls and God. I wasn't quite sure whether these were complete works of fiction, or whether they were based on real conversations, but through these Shellenberger tackles many different issues that teenage girls face every single day, including eating disorders, fashion and relationships, and demonstrates how God can challenge and comfort even in the midst of these. I think it's a book I would definitely have appreciated when I was younger. It certainly provided answers and guidance that may have benefited me at the time. 

There were one or two places that were unbearably cheesy and I found myself inwardly cringing at such moments, but overall I think Shellenberger succeeds in putting forward her message: that God is with us through thick and thin, and desperate to have a deep and personal relationship with each and every one of us. It certainly encouraged and inspired me in my own relationship with God. It also reminded me that as well as praying and talking to God, I should also listen to Him. While I don't think I would read the book again, I have copied several extracts into my prayer journal for future reference. 


I review for BookSneeze®

2 comments:

Anna said...

Hello darling and sorry I've been such a bad lack~a~daisical commenter recently.
Life has been full!
Glad to see you are still enjoying book sneeze and doing your write ups on them.
You have a prayer journal?
How wonderful!
( just like you.) :))
We are off out tonight to a 50th birthday party.
Merriment!
AML
Anna
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kess said...

Hello dearest!

That's alright, life can be like that sometimes...

I'm so glad you introduced me to Booksneeze! :) I've discovered some wonderful books along the way. And that's all thanks to you.

Enjoy the party! I'm going to be snoozing tonight and enjoying a lie-in tomorrow after four days of getting up at 4am! Lol

AML

Kess
xxxx