Tuesday, 19 April 2011

#42 New Beginnings

Today, as I was racking my brains trying to think of something to blog about, I realised that I haven't mentioned my new job at all. I've attended three training days over the last three weeks, two for my induction and the third for till training, but started for real last Friday. I was very impressed by all that I saw and experienced that day. I went around with a colleague who taught me all I needed to know, and then the next day I began to work solo. Of course, there was a lot to take in and I wasn't expected to take everything in, but there were plenty of people around to assist if I came into difficulty. 

The biggest adjustment I've needed to make is getting up at 4.15am so that I am ready to begin work at 5am. However, I haven't found this too much of a challenge so far, but probably after my first full week I'll be telling you a different story! I just have to make sure I get to bed by 9pm at the latest the night before a work shift, but I found after a day of work I was more than ready to go to bed at this time and slept very well. 

I also have to adjust to having so much free time on my hands! I only work 16 hours a week, and I always finish work at 9am which means I have the rest of the day to myself. I also work set hours, and always have Sunday - Tuesday off. I have the option to do some overtime, and will most definitely try to pick up some extra hours, but my set hours cover my rent and petrol costs at least, which is something. 

I found the content of work enjoyable, and even therapeutic. I like the challenge of trying to find the item required. I will eventually have to complete an order in a set time, which will make the job even more exciting. The handset I use to scan items with is basically 'idiot' proof, which reduces the likelihood of mistakes and makes the device fairly easy to use. 

My hope is that I'll settle in quickly and make some friends. I also hope I'll prove to be a satisfactory member of the team and do my part to ensure the company's excellent reputation continues. 

No comments: