Saturday, 9 April 2011

#32 The "Sex" One

I don't know why I feel compelled to share something so deeply personal, especially as I know several of my readers in real life. Perhaps it's because since reaching adulthood three different women have recognised me as a virgin just from talking to me. This might be because of my openness about my religious beliefs, or perhaps from the way I behave. On the whole, however, most people assume that because I'm in a serious relationship I have had sex. 

Spud and I have been together for nearly four years, and have known each other nearly five, but we decided even before we started going out that we didn't want to have sex before marriage. This wasn't an easy decision to make, and has been even harder to enforce, particularly when we were in a long distance relationship. We wouldn't see each other for long periods of time, and then we'd be together 24/7 for a couple of weeks. We certainly haven't made it easy for ourselves. 

We have another year to go before marriage, but in the time we've been going out we've known many couples meet, get engaged, and marry. I feel that by waiting we're showing our commitment to each other and our commitment to God. In this day and age, sex has become such a casual thing, and by waiting we're making it something special. We have the rest of our life together to enjoy that side of our relationship. 

However, I do realise that this is a personal choice, and I don't want to sound like I'm judging other people, which I'm not. I just wanted to share my thoughts. 

4 comments:

Anna said...

I admire you more than you will ever know. How brave, this post!
In being true to ourselves, we can in turn, be true to others.
AML
Anna
xxxxxxxxx

Kess said...

Thanks darling. I didn't know how this post would be received but your comment was very reassuring!

And what you said is so true!

AML

Kess
xxxx

Bethany Mason said...

I have the utmost respect for you and your decision - after all, it is YOUR life and therefore YOUR choice. And I am glad you have found yourself able to openly share your choice as I believe it is only through being open and honest that we can show ourselves for who we really are.

I know I could never follow the path you've chosen but I don't see that as a problem - and I certainly wasn't offended by this post as you didn't show any judgment at all. We are all who we are and have to stay true to ourselves, not compromise our decisions for others as this will surely lead to regret later in life.

Kess said...

Thanks for that Bethany! :-)