Sunday, 6 March 2011

The Time Traveller's Wife


After reading Audrey Niffenegger's second novel, My Fearful Symmetry, my expectations of The Time Traveller's Wife were very high. Having previously watched the film, I knew what to expect from the storyline and didn't expect there to be any surprises. From the very first page I was enthralled. The characters were vivid and leapt right off the page. They became almost real to me, and I found myself caring for them deeply. I was incredibly moved in places, and to the point of tears at times. 

The narrative voice alternates between time traveller, Henry Detamble and his wife, Clare. Henry and Clare meet for the first time when Henry is 36 and Clare is 6. Fourteen years and many meetings later, when Clare is 20 and Henry is 28, they get together. But they are soon to discover that Henry's genetic condition doesn't make married life easy. This is a novel about a  love so strong that it can survive the constraints of time. 

Niffenegger succeeded in making the whole concept of time travel believable, at least in the context of the novel. Her writing style is strong and of a high standard. Never once did I feel the narrative voice waver, or strain for effect. The novel is definitely a page-turner, and will keep the reader away from their own present for many hours at a time! 

2 comments:

Bethany Mason said...

What a coincidence - I just got this book from bookmooch.com! I plan on reading it very soon (you know, after I finish this huge reading list for uni, lol).

Kess said...

I'd definitely recommend it. It's something for you to look forward to when you've made it to the end of your reading list! x