Wednesday, 30 March 2011

#22 Peanut Butter Memories

Today at work I supported my client while she made Peanut Butter Cookies. They were so good (and for want of something better to write about) that I am going to share the recipe with you. I am unable to reference the recipe because the source wasn't feature on the photocopied page we worked from. 

Ingredients
50g (2oz) butter
75g (3oz) soft light brown sugar
100g (4oz) crunchy peanut butter
50g (2oz) self raising flour
50g (2oz) rolled oats
1 medium egg
50g (2oz) roasted, unsalted peanuts

1) Grease two baking trays with butter. Turn the oven onto 170 degrees Celsius (325 degrees Fahrenheit/Gas Mark 3). 

2) Put the butter, sugar and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat until light and creamy. 

3) Sieve the self raising flour onto the mixture. Add the oats and stir well. 

4) Press the mixture with your fingers, the fold it in half and press again. Repeat until it makes a soft dough. 

5) Take a small piece of the mixture in your hand and shape it into a small ball. Place on the baking tray and flatten slightly with your hand. 

6) Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Brush the top of each cookie with some beaten egg. 

7) Break the peanuts into smaller pieces and sprinkle over each cookie. They will stick to the egg. 

8) Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool. 

The recipe should make 12 cookies. Ours came out well although they were rather crumbly!

And now for some peanut butter related memories!

I can't remember how old I was when I discovered peanut butter. There was a time when I would always have peanut butter sandwiches in my lunch box, but I think at one point I got quite sick of them. I remember once really struggling to eat one as I was so bored of the taste. 

However, my taste for peanut butter revived in my late teens. I often had peanut butter on toast for tea during my first year at university when I was living in halls of residence. 

When we went to Brittany, the summer before last, I was delighted to discover a market stall (run by an Englishman) that sold peanut butter muffins. They were delicious. I particularly loved the gooey peanut butter icing on the top. 

Peanut butter also tastes great in savoury meals. Once, when holidaying abroad, I discovered chicken-satay, skewered chicken coated in a peanut butter sauce. My mum and I, who are the only two members of the family who can stand peanut butter, absolutely adored it!

I like peanut butter best on toasted crumpets!

2 comments:

Philip said...

i will have to try these, i tried making some a while ago with a different recipe and they were not good!!

Tina Duncalfe

Kess said...

They came out a bit crumbly but were very tasty!

Nice to hear from you Tina x