Saturday, 19 March 2011

#11 Thinking Things Through

I have a very bad habit of acting before I've really thought something through. A situation has just arisen as a result of my bad habit. The other day I received a message from a lady looking for a nanny from September. I responded right away, expressing interest in the position, and I'm in the process of arranging to meet her for coffee and a chat. 

However, I spoke to my mum afterwards who warned me not to leap right into the position. She made me realise that perhaps this is not the best position for me. Again it's a deeply committed position (I am just leaving a very committed role at work as I realise there are areas of my life that need to come before work) and it will limit my career. Also, it's not really the area I want to work in. And it took my mum to make me realise this. 

So now I'm in a bit of a predicament. I can either go ahead and meet this woman for coffee, or I can tell her straight out that actually I've had second thoughts and I'm not sure the position is for me. Either way I'm going to mess her around, which is the last thing I want to do. It would have been so much easier if I'd really thought things through before replying to her first message. 

Hopefully this will teach me to really think things through before I act!

4 comments:

Toyin O. said...

It is okay, it happens to everybody. Better realizing what you want later, than never:) Good luck with everything.

Kess said...

Thank you Toyin :) You're right. Thank you for visiting!

Anna said...

I agree with Toyin, Kess.
I would ring the lady though, as she can go about looking for someone else. It would save her time, and yours.
I think impulsivity is a girl thing!
I'm the most impulsive person in the world lol
AML
Anna
xxxxxx

Kess said...

Thanks for the advice dear.

I'm thinking I might go ahead and meet her for coffee anyway, because now that I've got involved I might as well find out all I can about the position before dismissing it. If, after that, I decide it's not for me then I'll just be honest with her.

AML

Kess
xxxx