Friday, 11 February 2011

Feeling Loved

I was going to post this yesterday, but was completely out of energy when Spud left last night, and still haven't really recovered. 

I think if it had been my way, I would've spent my birthday curled up in a quiet corner reading short stories by Katherine Mansfield, but Spud and my landlady, Treasure, were eager to make a fuss of me. I woke up fairly early, but remained in bed for an hour or so, before getting dressed and going downstairs for breakfast. Treasure wished me happy birthday and gave me a hug. She had placed a big, square shaped parcel by my armchair, which turned out to be a nice firm cushion. 

Spud rang me midway through breakfast to wish me happy birthday and ask what time I would be round. I was actually a bit later than I told him because the postman arrived with a bundle of cards. Spud had planned a waterside picnic, but unfortunately it was raining so we opted for a lazy day at home, watching romantic films, like 'P.S. I Love You'. 

Spud gave me an assortment of presents, not all of which were wrapped because he'd spent about half an hour wrapping one of them and ran out of time. I made sure I appreciated his efforts before carefully peeling away the sellotape and smoothing out the paper so it could be reused. My main gift was a health grill which we cooked sausages on for lunch. Spud also bought me lots of other lovely things, including three jigsaw puzzles. 

We went back to mine for my birthday tea. I felt bad as we were slightly later than I'd intended, and Treasure had already started eating her dinner. She'd cooked scampi, chips and peas, having consulted me a few days in advance about what I'd like. She also produced a bowl of strawberries for dessert and a chocolate birthday cake! I think she quite enjoyed making a fuss of me. 

Spud stayed until quite late as we started one of the jigsaw puzzles he gave me. It turned out to be the most difficult as the main picture is made up of thousands of smaller images. We have made a good start though having spent most of today working on it too. My parents rang in the evening to wish me happy birthday, and I also spoke to both of my brothers. 

And I think everything caught up on me because by about 10pm I was fighting to keep my eyes open, and much as I hate parting with Spud, I was slightly relieved when he said it was time for him to go home, because I knew I couldn't stay awake for much longer. 

So it was a quiet birthday really, but perfect. And I received several birthday messages by text, and more than fifty birthday wishes through Facebook, which made me feel very loved. Thank you to everyone who made it special. Particularly Dearest Friend, who rang me today. And Treasure. And Spud. 

2 comments:

Bethany Mason said...

Glad to hear that you had a brilliant birthday, I find that often spending time with loved ones and doing not much is the best way to spend time.

Kess said...

Definitely! :-)