Friday, 14 January 2011

Unto the Hills


With the start of a new year I've picked up Billy Graham's daily devotional, Unto the Hills, to read alongside my Bible reading plan. Graham's title is taken from Psalm 121: 1-2, which reads:

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills,
from whence cometh my help.
My help cometh from the Lord,
which made heaven and earth.


This has to be a passage I often return to as it is the source of great comfort. Similarly, Graham's daily words of wisdom seek to provide comfort, and I believe he succeeds in this. Graham's devotionals do not follow a running theme but bring, each day, something fresh and new, giving the reader something to think about and meditate upon throughout the day. Each devotional leads us to God, the source of all our help and comfort, reminding us that we are not alone in our hardships. 

The devotionals follow a similar format, beginning with a catchy title and a line of scripture that introduces the day's meditation. Graham then launches into a two minute sermon that is easily accessible to the reader, and leaves us with a thought or two to carry through the day. Graham then closes with a line or two of prayer. 

My only criticism is that Graham sometimes seems to have a particular audience in mind, and this has the potential to exclude individuals. For example, some of his devotionals have been strictly about marriage and children. Perhaps this is just me being finicky! Other than that, I've been really impressed with Unto the Hills and I'm sure that each devotional will provide me with a little comfort and insight each day as I continue on my journey with God. 

I review for BookSneeze

No comments: