Sunday, 19 December 2010

Concerning Maps

Nothing much has happened recently, but I want to blog and make up for lost time, so you'll have to make do with my musings. 

Since leaving home, my confidence behind the wheel has greatly increased. You may remember that I used to hate driving, and was terrified of travelling along unfamiliar roads alone. I didn't dare try a new route because I was afraid of getting lost. 

However, I am now in a position where I have drive every single day. I drive three different vehicles (one my own, and the other two work vehicles), and I regularly have to drive to new places at a moment's notice. This is where I've found a map comes in handy. I now carry a street atlas around in my 'Mary Poppins' handbag, and believe me, it's been a lifesaver many a time. Up until recently I couldn't read maps, but I learned pretty quickly after my first long distance trip to the Lake District with Spud. 

So now I don't have to think twice about driving to different destinations, even if I'm not always sure of the route. I just consult my street atlas, and normally that's enough to get me there and back again. I find maps quite fascinating, and could pore over my street atlas for hours. I'm determined that in a few months I'll know the city (and the surrounding area) inside out!

No comments: