Friday, 24 December 2010

Carol Singing

Let me paint you a picture...

Three nights before Christmas a vicar ushers her flock of five through a snow glazed village on the outskirts of the city, and leads them in song outside closed doors. Spud and I are the lambs of the flock by far (I got asked if I was still at school, and was met with surprise when I answered that I left school over five years ago - nothing new there!) One of the flock is lame, and another visually impaired, supported by his wife. Our singing was unrehearsed; we had never sung together before, so we were hesitant and flat, but each note, each word was injected with real joy that could be read in the smiles on our faces. We sang tunes that I knew, and tunes that were unfamiliar, but each one rejoiced in the birth of our saviour. 

It was a cold night, and while doors were opened to us, they remained open only long enough for a donation to be given. Few lingered on their doorsteps to listen to us. However, after an hour of trudging around in the cold, my fingers and toes were quite numb, and we walked up a drive way lined with braziers, to a garage opened up and full of people. They welcomed us in (as they welcome our party every year) and we gave them a song. They gave us mulled wine, home made mince pies, and chestnuts roasting on one of the braziers. We talked, sang, ate and drank, long into the evening before we disbanded, and Spud and I strode away into the night, our hearts overflowing over with excitement and joy. The sky was clear; dotted with stars and a moon no longer full, but big and glowing. 

And now it is Christmas Eve, and the air is heavy with anticipation. Last night I barely slept because I was so excited. I may just get my Christmas wish (the dream job), and even if I don't, I'm hopeful. I'm blessed, so very blessed, and all for more so for knowing Him whose birth we celebrate tomorrow. 

A Merry Christmas to you all, my friends! I wish you joy and happiness this Christmas season, and for evermore!

3 comments:

Anna said...

This is quite the loveliest blog about Christmas Eve I have ever read.
Happy Christmas my darling little one!
AML
Anna
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Bethany Mason said...

I love the tradition of carolling and just wish I was able to to do so now - perhaps in a few years I'll be able to join in once again.

Kess said...

*Anna* Aw shucks! :)

Merry Christmas to you my lovely!

AML

Kess
xxxx

*Bethany* You will definitely have to come with us next time if you're up to it. Make sure you wrap up warm though!