Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Fudge

I remember being the first one to scoop him out of the box the day he arrived. I expected him to run away, but he was fearless. I cradled him in my arms like a baby. He belonged to my brother really, but I knew I would always be his protector and supervise his care. 

I was the one who spotted the dry skin beneath his ear, and was later praised by the vet who diagnosed the ear mites. 

There was a time when I swore he knew my voice, and would come rushing to the bars of the cage whenever I was near.

I didn't know him much during old age. I moved away six months before he died, but last time I saw him I think I knew he wasn't far from the end. He was perfectly healthy, although clearly older, slower, frailer. 

And sure enough, on Saturday night I learned (via Facebook) that Fudge, the last family guinea pig, had passed away, at the respectable age of 5 and a half. 

R.I.P. Fudge. 


May 2005 - 20th November 2010

5 comments:

FJ said...

I used to have hamsters, and what made me felt so sad was that my neighbor's kid THREW my hamster into the drain.

Fudge looked cute! May he rest in peace...

Btw, congrats on your graduation!

Sarah said...

When I was in middle school, we had a guinea pig named Sundae! (Get it? Fudge? Sundae? Hehe.) He also managed to live a remarkable 6 years, passing away the night of my senior band banquet in December 2007.

And CONGRATS! on your uni graduation!

xoxo,
Sarah

Anna said...

* Sob*
AML
Anna
xxxxxxxxxxx

Mariel said...

My condolences to you, dear Kess. *hugs*

Kess said...

*FJ* Thanks for stopping by! I was horrified to hear about the way your neighbour treated your hamsters! :( That's really cruel - makes me sad too.

*Sarah* Sundae is a lovely name, as is Sarah. My brother named his first guinea pig Sarah! :) xxxx

*Anna* Thanks sweetpea.

AML,

Kess xxxx

*Mariel* Thanks dear *hugs back* He lived a long, happy, healthy life and passed away quite peacefully. I couldn't have wished any more for him.