Tuesday, 28 September 2010

Dear Job Centre

Well, here we are at the end of the road. We both knew it would never last. I want you to know it's not you - it's me. You see, I've got a start date now, and tomorrow we meet for the last time. You know, in a way I'm going to miss our fortnightly get-togethers. Really? you ask. No, not really. I never felt we belonged, and you were just far too demanding. You never believed in giving something for nothing, and didn't even seem all that pleased for me when I announced I had secured a job. Do you have a start date? you asked. No, I replied, I have to get a CRB disclosure done before I can start. Your brow furrowed. That could take up to six weeks! you exclaimed, knowingly. If you still want my support you must continue your search for work, and keep seeing me fortnightly to review your case. I agreed, dutifully, but really I wondered what the point was. I'd worked so hard, and even if I did secure temporary work, by the time references had been secured and paperwork filed, it would be time for me to begin my other job. Surely I deserved a few weeks off. You didn't seem think so.

I cannot deny that your financial assistance has been invaluable. You have prevented me from dipping into my savings, in spite of the extra expenses that come from independent living, and for that I am truly thankful. I hope you can find it in your heart to be happy for me. Who knows, maybe we will meet again someday, although we certainly won't if I can help it. Maybe sometime in the future, you will meet a young man or woman of my likeness, and speculate the possibility that this could be one of my offspring. I hope that you will provide them with the assistance and support you've granted me over the last few months.

My very best wishes to you,

Kess

2 comments:

Anna said...

Job centres can be a right pain in the bum. LOL
So where are you going to be working?
AML
Anna
xxxxxx

Kess said...

You're telling me! Lol. Glad that's all over and done with!

I'm going to be a support worker - working with adults with learning disabilities who can't live independently. Very similar to what I was doing before - just a wider age group!

AML

Kess
xxxx