Friday, 25 June 2010

Sell Myself

I didn't get the job, but it seems the interview wasn't as terrible as I thought. The woman I spoke to gave me some reassuring feedback and some useful advice. She said first of all I was capable of doing the job with the support available. She also said I came across as patient and sensitive, a real team player, and advised me that I needed to sell myself more, as I didn't mention everything I had put on my application form. She told me that there's another position coming up soon, one that involves supporting a child in a mainstream school and with my permission she's going to give my name and number to the headmaster. 

You may also be interested to hear that B got the job (no surprises there). I'm not too disheartened. It was the result I was expecting. I am applying for two more positions. My prospective landlady gave me a few more suggestions, and I acquired plenty of new routes from the job fair yesterday. So it isn't the end of the world. It was my first formal interview and I have some idea of how to prepare for the next one. 

God has something perfect for me, and maybe I will find out what that is soon. In the mean time I will meditate on Jeremiah 29.11: 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future'. 

3 comments:

Anna said...

Aw Kess!
I'm so so sorry. But onward now sweetie to the next one.
What amazes me is that you have to * sell* yourself now at interview.
I got a job once about 13 years ago, and later a girl who was on the panel told me I won them over based on the fact that when I entered the room, I smiled at the panel!
Don't worry sugarplum.
We know who is in control!
AML
Anna
xxxxxxxx

Bethany Mason said...

That's really reassuring that she's taking the time to refer you for another job interview. Hope you learn from your search but that it will not be too long a journey.

Kess said...

*Anna* I smiled at them too. A friend told me once that my smile is my trademark. I think I made a good impression and the woman really did seem sorry to reject me, and eager to help me on my quest for a job.

AML

Kess
xxxx

*Bethany* Yes, it was very reassuring. At least I had the 'experience' and as you said, I can learn from that and be better prepared next time