Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Life by the Beach

Apparently, wherever you are in Cornwall, you can never be more than twenty miles from the sea. I think a part of my soul will forever dwell there. I can understand exactly why Daphne du Maurier loved Cornwall so. Because my grandparents have lived there for over a decade, I have enjoyed many holidays there, but not in recent years. So I was thrilled when Spud suggested a mini camping holiday there. Our camp site was just outside Newquay, and perfectly situated. We were just a few minutes away from the beach, shops, and tourist attractions. Because we were outside the tourist season we were able to book three nights at very little cost, and the site was also relatively quiet and empty. There was a nature trail where we encountered some of the site's permanent residents:




On our first night, after pitching the tent and organising some grub, we drove the short distance to Fistral Beach in Newquay, and arrived just in time to see the sun set:














The following day we headed to St Austell and visited what is probably Cornwall's biggest tourist attraction, the Eden Project. For those of you who don't know, this is where the world's biggest greenhouse is located. I didn't take many photographs in the first of the two biomes, which was so humid my camera lens misted up! I did get a couple towards the end though:



I've visited the Eden Project on two previous occasions, the most recent of which was seven years ago, although this was Spud's first time. We were both impressed. It had expanded a lot since my last visit and there was so much to see!









That evening, after catching up with Hannah, a friend of mine from university, we went to Par sands. For several consecutive summers, while on holiday in Cornwall, my family would spend an evening in Par. We would buy fish and chips, and then drive to the beach and eat there. Again, it is a place I haven't been to in years, and so it was a real delight to revisit. Unfortunately it was rather overcast, although dry, so we weren't able to watch the sun set. 



It was very windy!


On our last day we visited Truro, and then went on to a beach called Polly Joke. 



We then returned to our camp site and cooked our last meal over the portable stove, and posed for a few pictures naturally!



4 comments:

Bethany Mason said...

What beautiful pictures - I almost wish I'd been there with you to enjoy the nature that appears to be so abundant.

Anna said...

Kess,
there is not one thing that i don't love about this * totally * amazing post. The photographs are really breathtaking, I felt as though I was there with you.
( Loved the Heidi thing you did with your hair at the end :) ! It's got so long!
Yep, I LOVED this post.
It was WONDERFUL!
AML
Anna
xxxxxxxx

Mariel said...

Those are such amazing photos! I'm sure you and Spud had so much fun. :)

Kess said...

*Bethany* You would love it! It's such a photogenic part of our country!

*Anna* Thank you sweetie. I'm really pleased with this post too! I must admit though I can't take credit for all of the photographs because Spud took quite a few of them (probably the better ones!)

AML

Kess
xxxx

*Mariel* Thank you dear! :) We really did have a fun time!