Friday, 28 May 2010

A Short Interlude

Oh Spud! How you have kept me in suspense today, frantically tapping away at the computer an hour before your deadline... And now you are at college, handing your work in with just minutes to go...

While Spud was working away, I've been doing all the practical tasks that lie between us and our holiday. I finished and posted application form number 10. I emptied the dishwasher solo, and filled it again, normally Spud's job which we do together when I'm around. Because we neglected to do it yesterday, forty-eight hours worth of washing up had accumulated across most of the work surfaces. It's surprising just how much a household of eight can get through in two days! I did some laundry, and then hung my socks up to dry. And now I have just finished packing. 

We are off to the Lake District for a week and leave bright and early tomorrow morning. The trip will give me the opportunity to do some research for my long-neglected novel, because the protagonist lives in Carlisle. I want to see if I can spot the school she attended during her youth, and the second hand bookshop where she works. I want to walk along the battlements of Carlisle Castle with Spud, as my protagonist does with her love interest. I want to see the world through her eyes, and reignite my vigour for writing her story again, now that I have the time and freedom to do this. 

I don't think there is a wireless connection where we're staying, which means I will be absent for the week. I know some of you will be disappointed. Some of you might be relieved because I have been blogging quite obsessively recently! Lol. I'm going to miss you all, but I will be back soon so don't go anywhere! 

4 comments:

Ashley said...

We'll miss you! Have a great trip! Have fun doing research for your novel--I just got back from the mountains and did the same thing for my novel while I was there! Take lots of pictures!

Kess said...

Thanks so much Ashley :) It's nice to know I will be missed. I will see you when I get back. And, don't worry, I'll be sure to take lots of photos! :)

Anna said...

I won't be relieved.
I'll be gutted. Sob.
Aw well you deserve this break my sweet one.
All that hard work and all those absences from Spud.
Have a BRILLIANT time darling.
And come back to us soon.
AML
Anna
xxxx

Bethany Mason said...

I don't think you could ever blog too much as you always have something interesting or beautiful to add to my day. Hope you have fun on holiday and get plenty of relaxing in with the research x