Monday, 24 May 2010

The Red Tent



Because Spud's still working on his assignments, I've had plenty of time for reading for pleasure. Anita Diamant's The Red Tent is the story of a Biblical figure often overlooked, Dinah. I don't know how well you know the Bible, but for those of you who don't know Dinah is the only daughter of Jacob mentioned, and little is said about her other than her rape, and the murder of her husband at the hands of her own flesh and blood. A lot more is said about her brothers, the twelve sons of Jacob, especially Joseph, whose story is probably one of the most famous accounts in the Bible! 


The moment I read the blurb I knew it was a book I wanted to read as I have always wondered about Dinah; wondered what happen to the woman who existed not all that long after the dawn of time. This is an interesting retelling, combining the book of Genesis with the author's vibrant spin on the original telling. Told from Dinah's point of view, The Red Tent is a gripping read about family, love and midwifery.

Next on my agenda is Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees as recommended by my good friend Anna

4 comments:

Bethany Mason said...

I really enjoy your reviews and look forward to reading more of them - I'm glad you have so much time to read as I know how relaxing it can be. Bethany x

Kess said...

Aw, thanks Bethany :) Yes, it's bliss! More reviews to come! ;)

Anna said...

I loved this book!
Sorry I've not been around much poppet, there's a lot
going on at home at the moment.
Sob.
Aml
Anna
xxxxxxxxxxx

Kess said...

That's okay, darling. I really hope things get better soon. I'm sending you masses of hugs!

AML

Kess
xxxx