Monday, 3 May 2010

Making a Difference Monday

Most of you will know that yesterday I took part in my local half-marathon. What I failed to mention was that Dad and I used the occasion to raise a bit of money for charity. We both work at a college for students with visual impairments and other special needs. Along with six or seven of our colleagues, who were also taking part in the half-marathon, we collected sponsorship in aid of the college. Dad and I weren't too pushy. We set up a justgiving account which we advertised casually on Facebook during the weeks leading up to the run. Between us, Dad and I raised £100 - double our £50 target. I don't know what my colleagues raised, but I'm sure the college will be able to find a use for the money to enrich the students' learning and environment. 

My friend, Golden Girl, was amongst the spectators yesterday because her father ran too. She spotted me and took a photo, which she emailed to me yesterday evening. You can just about see my father and I in our green fundraising t-shirts!



I've been working at the college for eighteen months and I have just two weeks left at work before the coming move. The news of my forthcoming departure is slowly getting around. They seem sorry to lose me, which is a real compliment as I am only on the relief staff, and my role is fairly minor compared with that of the more permanent staff. I have loved working there and will miss everyone so much. It was really nice to give something back, in return for all the warmth and kindness they have shown me over the last year and a half. 

2 comments:

Bethany Mason said...

You should have let me know you had a justgiving account - I would definitely have donated something.

And I hope you find somewhere you love working as much as the college.

Kess said...

Aw, thanks Bethany :) There's still time to donate if you wish. I'll facebook the link to you! x