Saturday, 22 May 2010

Captivating


What can I say? I've read this book three times and gotten so much out of it on each occasion. When BookSneeze offered me the chance to review the revised and expanded edition I leapt at the opportunity. 

This is a book for every woman, Christian or not. According to John and Stasi Eldredge, the question at the heart of every woman is, am I lovely? This is a question which so often goes unanswered during childhood, with devastating results. In Captivating, John and Stasi go right to the depths of womanhood and explore what it means to be a woman. They identify the three desires that lie at the heart of every woman: to have an irreplaceable role, to be romanced, and to be beautiful. They also expose the lies that have deceived and wounded women to the very core, leaving these desires unfulfilled. John and Stasi provide the necessary guidance and healing, enabling us to move on and be the women God intended us to be. 

I am still astounded by how much I can identify with Captivating. It is a book that has touched the hearts of so many women and continues to do so. Captivating is no more a self-help book than it is a celebration of the complexity and diversity of womanhood. This is a book I'd recommend to men and women alike: women, because I can guarantee it will touch your heart; men, because this book really enlightens the mysteries at the very core of a woman's soul. Read this book!

I review for BookSneeze

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I borrowed this from a friend last year after almost every Christian woman I know GUSHED about it. I only heard one say she wouldn't recommend it. I never finished reading it, though. I'm skeptical of it because of the whole princess waiting to be rescued and be constantly praised thing it seemed like from the synopsis, but I think I'll give it another chance, and we can compare!

Kess said...

Hi Ashley! Yes, do give it another go! It will be interesting to see what you think of it. I couldn't relate to every single idea in the book, but I still got a lot from it