Sunday, 2 May 2010

Banana of the Year


I'm afraid I currently have no photos (or video footage Anna), but you'll have to take my word for it, that I completed the half-marathon and ran the whole course non-stop! 

We encountered one or two showers, but luckily these ceased once we got out of the car, having parked. Dad and I joined up with our six or seven work colleagues who were also participating, and one of the fund raisers who was there to support us. She provided us all with matching t-shirts, and once we had all changed she took a team photograph. My t-shirt was like a dress on me, even though I had ordered the smallest size!

There was a lot of hanging around and it was very cold! However, once the race had begun and we surged forward with the other 2,600 competitors, we soon started to warm up. Although my father's pace is faster than mine, he ran the course with me at my pace. Without him I'm not sure that I could have kept going. It was tough, to say the least. We recognised a few of the hordes of people who had braved the weather. There were a few people we knew from work who cheered us on from the sidelines, and my mother cheered us on, along with two or three people from our church, once the service had finished. 

The last two miles almost killed me. My legs were in agony, and I desperately wanted to stop. When we reached the final incline, Dad lapsed into a walk. 'Keep going!' he urged, and I continued running, although I don't think my pace was much above a walk. The last part of the race was a lap around the arena. A surge of energy spurred me on, and I broke into a sprint that carried me over the finish line. I collected my medal, and then waited for my father to finish. He was not graced with that same surge of adrenaline, and walked across the line. His eyes were fixed on me, and he nearly didn't see the people handing out the medals, even though he had to pass them to reach me! My time was 2 hours and 38 minutes, and dad came in just a minute later. 

We limped from stall to stall, collecting our goody bags, t-shirts, energy drinks and bananas. Dad was right when he referred to the complementary banana as banana of the year. A banana has never tasted better than it did after the race! Laura, the fund raiser, greeted us. We were the last of the team to finish but we had expected to be. She took a photo of the two of us. Dad has promised to download the photographs for me, so I will update this post with pictures as soon as possible. 

Anyway, I am about to run myself a hot bath so that I can give my painful, weary legs a good long soak, and then I intend to put my feet up!

5 comments:

Anna said...

Girl power!
Brilliant Kess, and well done my darling.
Now I demand the evidence lol.
AML
Anna
xxxxxxxxxx

Bethany Mason said...

Well done and I love that your dad ran at your pace - just shows how important love and family are. Say congrats to him from me as well :)

Kess said...

*Anna* Thank you :) Photos ASAP. Now, bed for me, I think. One tired girl!

AML

Kess
xxxx

*Bethany* Thanks hun :) Of course I will. I think he was a little disappointed in his time, and the fact that he still couldn't run all the way, but I am so proud of him! x

Ashley said...

WOW! Congratulations! What an accomplishment! What fun that you had your dad running with you, too. What a great way to bond!

Kess said...

Thanks Ashley! :) Yes, running has been a great opportunity to bond with my dad. We've been running together for 18 months now, and I'm going to miss those training sessions so much when I move away! :(