Saturday, 24 April 2010

#24 Vision


Today the optician hinted that if my eyes get any worse I may not qualify for contact lenses. I could be that I just misunderstood what he said. I mean, there was no certainty either way, but it worried me all the same. I don't like wearing my glasses. I know I should be grateful that my sight can be corrected. I work with people who are visually impaired - some of whom can't see at all - so I realise how lucky I am. But I loathe my glasses. And I dread the thought that I might be lumbered with them during all my waking hours, apart from a couple at either end of the day. Spud prefers me with my glasses than without. I hate it when people tell me they suit me. I don't want them to become a part of my identity again. 

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Kess, I know just how you feel! I got my contacts at the end of eighth grade, just as I was going into high school, and so they have become a permanent part of my identity. I hate when I accidentally scratch one of my eyes, or when they get irritated in any other way, because then I have to wear my glasses. Like you, people have told me that I look really good in glasses, but I feel like they're annoying most of the time! Best of luck with your eyes!

Anna said...

* Clears throat *
Oh I can so identify with this post Kess.
I wore lenses for years, and had to revert back to my specs when the close up work in surgery was blurry to me! * Sobs*
I also needed varifocals. and you can't get varifocals in lenses.
Then, in January 2009 i had 3 retinal tears ( which can happen to really short sighted peeps like me)
and had to have surgery on my right eye to save my sight.
UNDER LOCAL!
* faints as is a hopeless patient lol*
( there was a LOT of squelching Ewooo! )
Anyhoo I'm rambling.
I've just had new glasses, and they set me back £ 420!
Just so they wouldn't look like milk bottle bottoms....
As you say though. sight is such a precious gift.
Without it, I would never have seen your darling face.
AML
Anna
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Kess said...

*Sarah* Thanks :) I'm glad I'm not the only one! If I have to revert back to glasses I might see if I can go the laser surgery route! I can't hack a lifetime of wearing glasses!

xxxx

*Anna* Aw, sweetie. I really do think we're sisters! That operation sounds nasty - I'm so squeamish when it comes to eyes, but I don't have any problems with putting my contacts in. I will be so upset if I have to stop wearing them soon :'( I don't think I'll mind so much if it's in 15-20 years or so... My short-sightedness is the bane of my life, although I feel better knowing I don't stand alone.

AML

Kess
xxxx

Anna said...

GRR.
I just wrote a really long comment and lost it!
I HATE it when that happens!
GRR!
A
xxxxx

Anna said...

GRR.
I just wrote a really long comment and lost it!
I HATE it when that happens!
GRR!
A
xxxxx

Anna said...

And now, duplicates!
GRR blogger GRR!