Saturday, 17 April 2010

#17 What We do for Love

Today we are celebrating my grandparents' 50th Wedding Anniversary. The occasion will be marked with a service, followed by entertainment and a buffet lunch. We, the guests, are providing the entertainment. I wasn't contributing anything originally because I didn't feel I had anything to offer. At least, nothing I could bring up to scratch in time. I suppose I could've played my flute but I can't read music without my glasses (I wear contact lenses), and I didn't really have time to practice with all the work I had to do. My parents had planned to sing a song they wrote and sang together at a friend's wedding, years ago. However, my mother has had some sort of chest infection for weeks now, and recently lost her voice. She saw the doctor, who advised her against singing, and even talking! So guess who is going to stand in her place today? Moi. 

Now, I don't really think of myself as a particularly good singer. I don't think of myself as a particularly bad singer either, but singing is really personal, and something I only do when I think no one can hear me. I did sing in a gospel choir a couple of years ago, but that was with twenty other people. Today's performance is almost a solo in comparison. Well, I suppose it's more a duet because my dad will be singing too. My mum will be accompanying on her guitar and singing where she can. When my mum volunteered me to take her place, without even consulting me, I must admit I felt a little put out. I mean, don't I get a say in this? I realised, though, that it would mean the world to my grandparents, and so I agreed, and quite enjoyed our practices together this week. I'm not sure I'll feel quite so confident when I stand up in front of an audience, but I keep reminding myself that if it's really awful, it doesn't matter so much because I'll be moving 300 miles across the country very shortly. 

On the other hand, this could be the start of a whole new career in music... 

5 comments:

Bethany Mason said...

I'm sure you'll do fantastic and what an occasion - 50 years (that number is incomprehendable to me).

Sarah said...

I'm sure you do fine...and I never knew you were a fellow flute! Congrats to your grandparents on their big day!

Kess said...

Thanks ladies :) It didn't go too badly. My brothers told me that ours was the least cringe-worthy performance which is saying something. It was a good day and I think my grandparents enjoyed it, which is the main thing!

Anna said...

I'm sure it was lovely and I demand the video lol.
AML
Anna
xxxxxxx

Kess said...

I'm afraid it wasn't filmed, my lovely *sigh of relief* Lol

AML

Kess
xxxx