Sunday, 11 April 2010

#11 The Undomestic Godess

I'm very tired and lacking inspiration tonight so I will briefly review for you a book I read recently. 


It has been a real joy to rediscover reading for pleasure, and I have treated myself by indulging in some really light reads. The Undomestic Goddess isn't the first book I've read of Sophie Kinsella's as I worked my way through the Shopaholic series last year, but it certainly met my expectations. 

The novel is about a complete change of lifestyle. Samantha is a high-powered lawyer, working her life away in order to attain her ultimate goal: partnership in the firm she works for. On the day she seems set to achieve this dream, a simple mistake costs her job. Hopping on the first train out of London, she ends up in the countryside and lands herself a job as a housekeeper due to identity confusion. However, for Samantha, who has never, in her life, switched the oven on, the job is not quite so simple. As she adapts to a very different lifestyle, she begins to realise the freedom she has been missing for so many years...

This light hearted novel is both entertaining and moving. The twists and turns make it a real page turner. I don't believe it is what you would describe as a very literary read, but then I don't think such books should be dismissed on those grounds. The likeable characters and deep moral messages more than make up for this, and have brought Sophie Kinsella much success. 

4 comments:

Anna said...

I must confess I've never read any of Sophie Kinsellas books.
Her name makes me think of actresses in * Home and away * for some reason.
How utterly weird.
What is it with our lack of inspiration today, Kess?
We must both be tired....
Anyway,
have a lovely Monday my darling.
I'll think of you when I'm eating an orange at lunch :)
AML
Anna
xxxxxxx

Kess said...

Her books are always fun and enjoyable - good for winding down. Strange that you associate her name with actresses from 'Home and Away'.

AML

Kess
xxxxxxxx

Kate said...

I love her books! They are my comfort read when I don't want anything too challenging. I don't mean that in a bad way because I think she is a good writer and her books are very enjoyable! :)

Kess said...

I totally agree Kate :) She certainly knows how to draw readers in. Her books are always page turners!