Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Jigsaw Puzzle

Writing an essay is a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle. Once I have done the sufficient research and I have all the pieces laid out before me, the next task is to fit them together and construct the desired essay. I have a tendency to rewrite and rearrange the essay as I go, cutting paragraphs and trying them in different places, seeing where they seem to fit best. Despite the analogy, the task is harder than a jigsaw puzzle. Unlike a jigsaw there is no one place for a piece to go. There is considerably more ambiguity. Sometimes, as I work on the phrasing, I will lose a hundred words in one go, which is disheartening to say the least. That's what I did just now, and I'm just having a breather before resurfacing again. I managed to write over one hundred words but now I'm almost back to where I started. I haven't done a jigsaw in years, but this post has evoked a desire within me to do one. It'll have to wait though.

Now, back to the essay...

3 comments:

Mariel said...

I'm sure you're excellent at writing essays. You write so well in your blog. :)

Anna said...

Diito to what Mariel said!
AML
Anna
xxxxxxxxxxx

Kess said...

Thanks for the encouragement guys! :) I'm certainly getting there with the essay now!