Monday, 29 March 2010

Giving Up

For the first time in years I've given up on a book, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy by Lawrence Sterne. It is the final book on the syllabus for one of my modules, and a weighty read, to say the least. I somehow managed to get through the first hundred pages, which is roughly one sixth of the way through, and then realised that there are enough books on the reading list that it isn't necessary for me to read and study every one. So I'm opting out of this one. Normally, I would continue with a book regardless of whether I'm enjoying it or not, but this one really is impossible. I honestly could not tell you anything about the hundred pages I've read! 

Which means I've reached the end of my reading list (albeit a little prematurely), and I can enjoy some lighter reading. Well, at least I can once I've finished working on my dissertation. I don't think I'm going to be doing much else for the next month...

2 comments:

Anna said...

Tis Ok to give up sweetie.
I did, with lots of books!
I suggest you now read the Beano for a whole week.
LOL
AML
Anna
xxxxxxx

Kess said...

Hehe :D Good idea! Although I hear the Beano has gone downhill since my childhood :(

AML

Kess
xxxxxxxx