Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Never Let Me Go

I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what I should write this afternoon, so I thought I would review a book I read just before Christmas, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.



When I read Never Let Me Go I was not a stranger to Kazuo Ishiguro's writing, having studied another of his novels, The Remains of the Day, for two consecutive years - the first for my second year of A-levels, and the second for the first year of my degree. I also looked at one of his short stories for last year's creative writing module.

Ishiguro really is a master at capturing voices. In The Remains of the Day he writes from the perspective of Stevens, a butler in the 1950s. Never Let Me Go is written from the perspective of a thirty-one year old woman called Kathy, an entirely different voice to that of Stevens. However, both novels deal with similar themes, namely those of memory, friendship, and loss.

In Never Let Me Go Ishiguro 'imagines the lives of a group of students growing up in a darkly skewed version of contemporary England'. The protagonist, Kathy, unravels the mysteries of the past through her reminiscences, as she comes to term with the fate she has been aware of all her life...

This is a deeply moving novel, powerful and elegantly written.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Hey sweetie :)
Gosh I've wanted to read
* Never let me go * for an age now!
So thanks for the review.
Kess I think you would enjoy * Book sneeze*
You join up, they send you FREE books,
and you get to review them on your blog!
You are a brilliant book reviewer ....
and nothing beats a freebie...eh?
I'm going to join up today.
Here is the link.
http://booksneeze.com/
AML,
Anna
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Kess said...

Wow, Anna! :) Thanks for the tip off! I'll go check it out NOW! :)

Never Let Me Go is being made into a film starring Keira Knightley. It's out in November :)

AML

Kess
xxxxxxxx