Sunday, 17 January 2010

My Blogging Story

Quite a while ago, Sarah and Ashley posted a blog about How or Why they started blogging, and I decided that I would do the same at some point when I got round to it... You can read their blogging stories here and here.

I first stumbled onto blogger round about November 2008, and I'm not even sure why. I had previously visited the blogspots of my old church youth leader, and my brother-in-law-to-be, and I must have decided the time had come for Kess to have her say! Thus, blog number one was born.

It took me a while to get the hang of it, and I didn't really start posting until January 2009. It took me longer still to figure out how to browse through blogs and follow them.

I became quite proud of my blog to begin with. I used my real name, and Spud's real name, and generally wrote about my life and my faith. However, I never gained any real followers other than Bethany. Spud became a follower, and I did gain one other follower, who blogged in Spanish! She never commented, so it was difficult to tell if she even looked at my blog.

When my blog was eight months old, it simply died. I grew bored with it, and had no inspiration for further posts. Strangely, it was while I was on holiday and couldn't blog that The Passing Place was born. I didn't want to stop blogging, but I did want to start afresh, and as Bethany was my only 'real' follower, I felt I could do so without too much upheaval. While I had struggled to think of a name for my previous blog, The Passing Place came into existence with a name. This time it was meant to be.

I decided that rather than pouring all of me into my blog, I would distance myself. I don't use my real name, and to begin with I didn't even post a photograph of myself. Of course, as soon as The Passing Place was a reality, I followed Bethany again, wanting to maintain that friendship, support, and contact with her blog which I really enjoy reading.

I browsed through other blogs and discovered people who I felt able to be my kindred spirits, people whose thoughts I can strongly relate to: Anna, Carrie, Muffins, Mariel, and of course, Sarah and Ashley. I realised that there is more to following than gaining popularity. Following is about support and friendship, making people's days by commenting on their blogs or giving them a shout.

I began to put more of myself into my blog again, because people seemed to enjoy reading about me and my life, and thoughts, as much as I enjoy reading their blogs. Blogging has become a part of my daily routine. Even if I'm not posting myself, I will go online at least once a day and read the most recent posts of my blogging friends.

I want to take the opportunity to say a big thank you to all my loyal followers - I'd much rather call you friends. Hearing from you, whether from your blogs or your comments, always makes a difference to my day, and I can say truthfully that one of my highlights from the last year has been getting to know each and every one of you! It's much more fun to blog when you know that there are people reading and interacting with what you have to say, so thank you again. It really means a lot! :D

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Kess, you are so sweet! I'm so glad that we've become friends through blogging - sometimes it's really nice to have a small group of people who will always care about what you have to say. Blogging is a great escape from the real world. Keep it up!

Mariel said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. You tell your life story so well. I'm really thankful we 'met' here. *hugs*

Bethany Mason said...

I don't really know what to comment - only that I need to reply with something. So, I will just say that I'm exactly the same - my blog is about the third I've started and I'm finding it the most successful and have to say I have become a blogging addict - mainly reading them, but also posting. Looking forward to continuing our friendship through blogging and in the real world :)

Kess said...

*Sarah* So true :) Having a small group of friends is great because I can keep up with your blogs too, and reply to comments :)

*Mariel* So am I :) And I enjoy reading your blog too! *Hugs back*

*Bethany* So do I :) I will write you a letter soon! :)

Anna said...

All of the above,
and then some more!
AML
Anna
xxxxxxxx

Kess said...

Thanks Anna :) That means a lot!

AML

Kess
xxxxxxxx

Ashley said...

Love it! I'm with you--I love the little group of friends I've met through blogging.