Thursday, 31 December 2009

2009, a Summary


Achievements

- I kept one of my New Year's Resolutions and took up running, despite my conviction that I couldn't run to save my life. However, I proved myself wrong, and I am now capable of running up to six miles without stopping. I entered two races this year, a 5k and a four mile, and I will be running in a 10k race on Sunday. I also won my very first medal, not as a prize for doing well, but a souvenir for participating in the 5k.

- I finished the first draft of my novel! It still has a very long way to go, but it is a real accomplishment in itself as I've never completed anything of that length before.

- I attended a course at church, about spiritual gifts. A little courage was required in this because I had no one to go with, and knew nobody else who was going, but I did it. I went along to the meetings and engaged with the other participants. It was an excellent opportunity, and one that I feel has really benefited me. My next step is to join a house group, which will be my challenge for the new year.

The Places I Visited


- Spud and I began the new year by visiting London. I hadn't been to London for ten years, and so it was an exciting experience. Spud took me on the London Eye, and showed me Harrods where we marvelled at the prices...



- At Easter time I joined Spud's family on their annual holiday to the Lake District. It is a very beautiful part of the country, and on both occasions that I have visited it, I have had my breath taken away by the landscape.



- In the summer, I went to Brittany with my family. I fell in love with the place during the week that we were there...




Missed opportunities

- I was gutted to find out that I'd missed seeing Sixpence None the Richer playing live at a Greenbelt, a Christian music festival here in the UK. I've never been to Greenbelt, and probably wouldn't have gone even if I'd known that Sixpence None the Richer were playing, because the festival coincides with Spud's birthday. Still, one of my dreams is to see them live.

- I was also denied the student accommodation I applied for, which meant another year of commuting to university. It hasn't been so bad though, and I can see the benefits from living at home.



Miscellaneous

- As most of you know, in February Spud and I got engaged! Need I say any more?



- A definite highlight of July was the wedding of a second cousin - I love weddings!



- And, of course, one of my highlights of the year has been setting up this blog and meeting so many lovely people...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My highlight of 2009 was finding you poppet. Happy New Year Kess AML Anna xxxxxx

Kess said...

Hear hear! Happy New Year darling Anna!

AML

Kess
xxxxxxxx

Ashley said...

What a great year! I'm glad you took up running and did so well! I'll keep that in mind--running is one of my goals for 2010 and I plan to run a 5k in May (I am SO not a runner). Sorry you didn't get to see Sixpence None the Richer! I'm going to see Leigh Nash in a concert with Eddie K (the real reason we're going, Bryan loves him) next month.

Have a awesome 2010!

Sarah said...

Aww, I hope you have as great of a year in 2010 as you did in 2009! I'm going to take up running again, as well as swimming, this year, after a 4-year hiatus! And of course, one of the highlights of my year was starting my blog and finding yours!

Kess said...

*Ashley* Wow! Enjoy Leigh Nash! And Eddie K :)

And good luck with the running! Don't worry, I'm sure you will be just fine once you get into the swing of it. I'm always here if you want any running related tips! Lol

*Sarah* Aw, thank you :) I'm so glad I found your blog too. I've missed hearing from you, but having been really busy myself I completely understand.

Good luck with the running and swimming! :)