Saturday, 14 November 2009

Shakespeare in a Year

Last night I was woken by the wild winds rattling my window pane, while hail, like pebbles, collided with the glass and ricocheted into the night. The racket shook me quite suddenly from sleep, and I was quite frightened, wondering if the window was going to shatter, and the weather come pouring into the room.

Tonight, in contrast, is quiet and calm. Surprisingly quiet considering I am the lone female in a household of men; my brother has some friends round, but Taylor Swift's soothing melody is drowning out the small cacophony they might be making in the next room (I can't be sure. I can't hear them). My parents are out. I am lady of the house. For now, I remain barricaded in my tower room, but I may venture out when the coast is clear and make myself a cup of tea.

I lament that time, or lack of it, has prevented me from blogging as regularly as I'd like. Sadly, I am still immersed in this wretched essay, and with the last week or so until the deadline dwindling before me I have been forced to devote my precious time to the assignment. I have reached the stage where I am fully engaged with it and almost enjoying it. I am running out of things to write and so I have begun a second draft, hoping to pad out the material I already have. I am quite pleased with it so far. It's good fun tweaking it about, striving for perfection. Anyway, you don't want to hear about that.

This afternoon I had some time off, and enjoyed a theatre trip with my parents. We saw a modern adaption of William Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale, which I will be studying for my last lecture before the Christmas holidays. It was very good. Believe it or not, it was the first play of Shakespeare's I've ever been to see performed at the theatre! The only modern aspects of the play were the costumes and props.

I've been reading a lot of Shakespeare recently because for one of my modules we are studying four of his plays, and I'm really enjoying it! I've decided to set myself a challenge for next year, and that is to read all his plays in a year! I'm entitling the challenge:

Shakespeare in a Year

Anyway, I must go. The essay awaits, and I'm working most of tomorrow, so further essay writing must wait until Monday afternoon.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I love your blog so much and am quite jealous that
the dreaded * Essay* is demanding so much of your time and depriving us of your beautiful thoughts...
However your education is really important so
well done my little snowdrop for working so hard.
Much love, as ever.
Anna
xxxxxxxxxxx

Muffins said...

I'm in love with Shakespeare's plays! I don't read his tragedies much, but his comedies are really, really good. Have you read "Twelfth Night", "Much Ado About Nothing", or "Taming of the Shrew"? Those are my favorites. What about yours? :)

Kess said...

My favourites are 'The Winter's Tale', 'Twelfth Night', and 'Romeo and Juliet'. I haven't read 'Taming of the Shrew' or 'Much Ado About Nothing' but they're definitely on my 'to read' list!

Shakespeare is such an amazing writer! I'm studying four of his plays for one of my modules :)