Monday, 16 November 2009

On This Day...

...a year ago, I ran into an old school friend whom I sadly lost contact with three years previously. I was laughing over this memory recently, and it came to my recollection today. When I considered the date I realised it happened exactly a year ago. Here's the story...

It was a Sunday in the middle of November. Spud was down visiting, and I'd invited my two dearest friends, Becky and Christina, over for Sunday lunch. Only the day before, Becky had given us some unexpected news: she'd spoken to an old school friend of ours, Jess, and had invited her over to see us!

Becky and Christina were the first to arrive, and Christina had brought her latest niece for us to meet. The baby settled in my arms, falling asleep almost immediately. With Jess' arrival imminent we had a sudden idea for a trick, and Spud was quickly ushered into the seat beside me. He placed his arm around me, and a few minutes later our guest of honour showed up...



The look on her face when her eyes fell on us was really something. I so wish I had had a camera handy! Her mouth fell open and she gave a double take. 'No?' She said, her voice wavering a little with uncertainty. 'No!' She said, regaining her confidence. 'I know you!' She laughed. We had to surrender our farce and explain that the sleeping baby wasn't ours. I have to say though, this does give you a picture of what we may look like when we become parents someday!



Of course, I was delighted to see Jess again. I was devastated to lose touch with her after school as she'd been such a supportive friend. She was beautiful, confident, and she showed me true compassion, faithfully standing up for me during my time of need. And she was also a Christian, sharing my faith in God. She was one of those people whom everybody loved, and in fact, from the impression that I've got, she remains so.

3 comments:

Muffins said...

Haha. That little prank you pulled was really funny. I could imagine your friend's expression when she saw you with the baby (what a cute baby, btw!). :)

I know you're going to be great parents for your future kids. ;)

Kess said...

Thanks Muffins :) I know you'll make a great mother in the future too! You have all that practice with your little niece :)

It really was hilarious. I just wish I'd taken a picture of the expression on her face! :D

Muffins said...

Haha. Thanks, Kess. I'm not sure I'm too brave to deliver a child though. The mere thought of labor pains makes me faint. :)