Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Newsflash!

For my precious followers :) On this significant date (see previous post) I have just completed a first draft of sorts. It stands at 208 pages, a number that is likely to fluctuate over the weeks to come, when I begin the long and arduous task of editing. My novel writing has only really picked up over the last few days, having been caught by writer's block for almost two months. Amazingly, I have completed the first draft three months ahead of schedule. Obviously, it still has a long way to go.

There are a few people who have recently left me encouraging comments (you know who you are), and I would just like to take the opportunity to say thank you :) It means an awful lot to me when people take an interest in my writing and believe in me. Publishing a novel is one of my biggest dreams, and by completing a first draft, I have entered into the next stage, which could be the most frustrating!

It's only really in the last year that I've started to believe I might have the potential to be a writer. I don't want to get too ahead of myself in my elation, as I'm still uncertain whether this particular project will lead me all the way to my dream, or simply close enough to brush my finger tips against it. Either way, I have come further than I have ever been before, and I can't help but feel excited!

Anyway, I just thought an update might be appreciated. And also, I'm so excited, I just had to share the news! :)

6 comments:

Bethany Mason said...

That's brilliant, well done Kess. Good luck with the editing - for me the problem is the writing, as I'm one of those weird people who love editing. Of course the problem with this is that I don't actually have anything to edit! Keep ploughing away and I'm sure you'll achieve your dream eventually - just don't give up.

Kess said...

Thanks Bethany! I don't mind the editing, but I hear it can be quite frustrating sometimes, and I imagine it'll be disheartening if I'm required to change something that I'm pleased with. Thank you for your encouragement!

Anna said...

Hallo sweet pea!
Congrats and a thousand hugs on getting the draft done.
I read once that when you write, you should read, re read, and then take out every word you don't need.
I do this every day over at my blog.
What you read there, are the bare bones of what went before.
Good work darling.
Keep going!
Anna
xxxx

Kess said...

Thank you Anna! And thanks for the advice! Much needed!

I think I'll do the editing in dribs and drabs, whenever I can fit it in really. I think I finished the first draft just in time. Life is becoming busy again!

I hope one day you will be able to read my novel.

Kess
xxxx

Muffins said...

Really? Wow! I'm so happy for you. You are a very great writer and it would be really nice if your works get published. I would surely buy a copy of your book if it gets published/distributed here! :)

Kess said...

Thanks Muffins!

Still a long way to go, and at the moment I'm too weighed down with assignments to work on the editing, but I'd love to see it in print sometime. It would be my dream come true! :)