Saturday, 29 August 2009

Parting with an Old Friend

Yesterday I deleted my old blog, after spending some time copying my better entries into a word document, and I have to say, it wasn't the easiest thing I've had to part with in life. I wasn't sad enough to tear up, and I did not even reconsider my actions, but I still felt a slight discomfort as I deleted the 106 entries I have compiled during the last eight months, and then finally deleted the blog itself.

Blogging is something I really enjoy doing, and I like having my own space to publicly say what I want. Ever since I first set up a blog, I have worked on it with an enthusiasm that has never died. I just felt ready for a change. In some ways I felt I put too much of myself into my last blog, and wanted to work more anonymously. I think unconsciously I knew my first blog was a trial to see if it was something I wanted to continue doing. Now I've started over to search for my own style. I hope that the content of the last 7 entries is of interest.

All the same, yesterday when I deleted my old blog it felt very much like I was letting go of a small part of myself, and saying goodbye to an old friend.

1 comment:

Absolutely Write said...

I know exactly what you mean. My first blog was called Gone Back South and it was a good friend, valuable therapy when I needed it. However I felt it was a story and a character that I'd grown out of, so I decided to stop and it was kind of a sad decision. I've started this new one, but it's not quite the same. Think I might go for blog no. 3 but not tell anyone I know so I can be more honest!!!