Friday, 28 August 2009

Consider Yourself One of the Family

Spud and I have been going out for two years now. I'd say ours is a fairly unique relationship, as we met through the internet, and have always known, even before we met face to face after a year of correspondence, that we wanted to aim for marriage. It is my belief that the long distance has driven us closer, and enabled us to retrospectively spend more time together than many couples who live nearer to one another.

About this time two years ago I met his family for the first time. They knew nothing of me until Spud and I had officially met and started going out, so I think it was a little strange for them too, although as former foster carers, his family are used to having new people in the house for long spells. I am sure on my first few visits I gave off the impression of being very quiet and timid. In fact, I am sure it wasn't until Spud and I had been going out for about a year that I really came out of my shell, and began to grow used to his lifestyle and routines, some of which are very different to what I am accustomed to.

These days I feel mostly at home when I visit, and I'm treated like one of the family, which I suppose I almost am. I already think of his parents as my mother and father-in-law, and his siblings my sisters and brother-in-laws, even though Spud and I are not getting married for another three years. I've learnt a lot from each of them individually, and over time they've all grown on me - not that I'm implying I didn't like them all in the first place. I've always been very fond of them all, and think of them as my second family!

Very often, in-laws are portrayed as loathsome, but I can say this is not the case for me. I just hope I prove to be a pleasing daughter-in-law.

No comments: